The making of the 6'+ kitchen island

Here is a pictorial history of how the 6+ foot reclaimed kitchen island came about. After I had the 10” x 12” old growth post milled into four planks, I decided against my original plan to build a harvest table with them. Although this was the second kitchen island I’ve built, I wanted to make a piece of furniture that was both functional and unique. Hence, the ‘bar’ counter for kids to sit at or friends to lean on.
If you can make sense of my planning sheet, you may see that I considered adding a wine rack to one end. I knew I wanted to have a place for cookbooks/magazines but on the other end, I’ve installed 4 basic white hooks for pots, pans, etc. The upper shelf has two different sized boards, the right side ones are spaced out to allow for a few bottles of wine to sit comfortably between them - if you choose.
The island pieces are locked into place with oversized dowels, wood glue and embedding the posts 1 inch into the planks. Incredibly sturdy.

     











Contact Me

Custom, one-of-a-kind orders are exciting to design and build. Or, if you are interested in a project here that has been sold, let me know. Please, feel free to contact me with any questions, suggestions or orders you may have. Thank you,

Kelly Cooksley -- cooksleysfurniture@gmail.com

We will be donating 5% of all sales to the BC & Yukon Heart and Stroke Foundation.